9.22.2010

Review: MAC Face and Body Foundation

About three weeks ago I picked up MAC's Face and Body Foundation while I was in Atlantic City celebrating John's birthday. I had been eying this foundation for a while because I really wanted to own a SPF free foundation for night outings. I was beginning to hate how my face had that white cast from the flash. To me, it's unattractive to look like a pasty ghost face while the rest of my body is tan.

The first time I saw this foundation was when I just started getting into watching makeup tutorials on YouTube.  Michelle Phan, aka Ricebunny aka the Queen of the Makeup Gurus on Youtube (lol) did a clubbing tutorial using this foundation and ever since then I've been wanting it. I know that's a long time ago because this video is pretty old.

Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and bought the foundation. It's taken me a while to review this just because I wanted to test it out before I gave my full opinion just in case of break-outs, oxidation, you know, all that jazz.

Here is the description on the MAC website as to what and how this foundation is and feels like:
"A water-based, water-resistant foundation that provides long-lasting, natural coverage for face and/or body. Ideal for all skin types. Face and Body Foundation provides sheer, natural looking coverage in an easy to blend, water-resistant formula. The long-lasting formula is available in a wide range of colours and contains several emollients to help moisturize and condition the skin. It delivers professional looking results that meet the exacting standards of beauty photography and is ideal for perfecting the face and body."

Here are the photos of the bottle. I no longer have the box that it came with because I left it in Atlantic City but it is your standard black MAC black box, nothing extravagant but still sophisticated.
Click to enlarge the Images

This foundation has a very watery consistency. I thought that my Revlon PhotoReady foundation was liquidity but this one takes the cake. What do I think of this foundation? I think it's a very light foundation, almost to the point where it feels exactly like a tinted moisturizer. The coverage can be built up but it overall is a sheer foundation. If you don't like feeling as if you have anything on your face this may be the foundation for you. 

The price of this is $32 USD which may seem like a lot but look at how much product you get with it! It's 4 fluid ounces which is much more than the 1.01 fluid ounces found in Make Up Forever's High Definition foundation which prices at $42 USD.


There are 13 shades for this foundation.  If you are in between foundations this is not a problem because the colors blend very well against your skin so there is no worry about harsh edges. I picked C4 and now that I think about it, I could have easily gone with C3 because the colors are very similar. I had swatched both on my hand and both disappeared but I think C4 might be better for me just in case of a tan. There is a slight citrus scent to this foundation which I found very pleasant. It reminded me of something you would get from The Body Shop. I applied two layers of this, one with my fingers just as I would a lotion and then I stippled it on with my dense flat top ELF Studio Brush and it gave me a nice airbrushed finish. 


So what are the cons of this foundation? It can make you look shiny unless you set it with a powder. I had to retouch once during the night I was out. If you have very oily skin, this foundation might enhance that. If you are looking for a foundation that has high coverage then this one should not be your first pick. Though my skin looked flawless, I still needed some extra coverage for the redness around my nose. Another con is that this can separate because of the water in it. When I tried the tester I didn't shake it and the water floating on the top came out first, I made quite an EWWW face haha. My bottle hasn't done it yet but I feel as if I have to use it up quick so it doesn't expire on me.


Here are swatches of it:
Positives:
-Light feeling
-Nice scent
-Easy application
-No SPF for night time/photos

Cons:
-May be too sheer for some
-Water based and can enforce oiliness
-Can separate after some time. Short expiration

Would I repurchase: If I ever get rid of this bottle! Maybe.
If you guys have any questions about this let me know! 


FTC Disclaimer: This product was purchased by me. All opinions given are my honest opinions.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review! I will check out this foundation when I'm at mac! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ...
    Mac is certainly one of my favorite brands and that makeup is one of the best in quality ...
    I love your blog and the header is very nice ...
    and indeed I am your fan number 200 ... thousand kisses .. I invite you to my blog hope you like ... and encourage you to follow .. xox0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was dying to pick this up at the MAC Warehouse Sale, but every colour from C1 to C7 was sold out. You make me lust it even more! Seriously considering shelling out the bucks for this one..

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOTAL MAKEUP NOOBIE question - what's your advice when picking out foundation? I don't have oily or dry skin....I just wanna make my blemishes LESS known LOL ^_^

    I might have to go check this product out though. Might be good for me. ugh...now to figure out what shade i am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this review! I've been wanting to try it but haven't made a purchase because well... I've never own Mac, not enough reviews on it for me, and I don't know what shade I would go with.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started reading your blog and it's fantastic! It's cool seeing another Jersey girl on here! I've had my eye on this foundation for a while, but haven't taken the plunge yet and bought it. Do you know if the foundation comes in dark shades, similar to NW40/45?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried make up for ever's face and body?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i heard that it's waterproof!! @@ I have a sample of this foundation im not sure if i really like it!! i needa re-try it haha great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds lovely :) and I think that Michelle Phan video was one of the first ones I saw from her, it feels like years ago XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've been wanting to try this foundation since i love light foundations but i have oily skin so hmmm now i'm not sure lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this DETAILED review! :) I've been debating whether or not to purchase this product, but all the reviews I'd found about it were seriously lacking, and I came away with no helpful info. This review was great, and again thanks for the details! I'm definately gonna check this foundation out :)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi girlie. I think this is a great review. I honestly feel the same way about the foundation as well, cus of it being so light weight and all and short expiration. I bought mine like begining of January and it's not coming october and the foundation in the bottle looks strange! likeits out dated or sumink, it just looks funny when I pour it out but when I use it, it looks fine and it smells fine. Im not sure if it's out of date. :S what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the post!!! :) I am glad I read your review. Sounds really good so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this and LOVE it! Its my HG foundation. Even though its not "full coverage", its the best coverage for me on days when I really dont want to be wearing foundation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to read my blog. I read all my comments and appreciate each and every one! ^_^

Disqus for My Beauty Blog

Affiliate Disclosure

Beauty is Not Caused is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and The Body Shop Affiliate Program. This means that these are an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or TheBodyShop.com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails