10.11.2013

Review: NARS Dragon Girl Velvet Matte Lip Pencil

As you already know I'm a huge fan of NARS. I adore the sheer glow foundation, along with some of their best-selling blushes. So it's really not a surprise I purchased one of their velvet matte lip pencils. I'll admit I was a bit reluctant to buy this lip pencil for a few reasons. The first reason, I have a few red lipsticks and I rarely wear them. A part of me felt it would sit and collect dust along with the rest of the red lipsticks I own. The second reason? I'm not a huge fan of matte finishes. In previous experiences when experimenting with a matte lipstick, my lips have reacted negatively. These two main reasons caused a bit of hesitancy, but after reading several blog reviews and looking through picture swatches, I made my way to Sephora to collect this little gem. Another reason why I wanted this lip pencil? The name. I don't know why, but I love the name. Maybe because it sounds exotic, or maybe I'm just strange. Who knows?
 NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, Dragon Girl is described as a "siren red." I have to agree. It's a very bold, blue-based red not for the faint of heart. When I wore this lipstick out to dinner the other night with the Mister, I had about three girls come up to me and ask me what I was wearing. If you're shy and don't like the spotlight on you, avoid this lip pencil. Since it is a blue-based red, it will make teeth look whiter. As for who can wear this? I feel this red is pretty neutral and can suit several types of skin tones. From the pictures I've seen, this lip pencil can pull a bit pink, leaning more towards fuchsia color but on me, it stays pretty true to the siren red color. As always, try it on at your department store makeup counter or at Sephora before buying it. 

As for price, it's a little more expensive at $25 USD, but I'd rather pay a little more money to know my lips won't dry out or peel terribly. I know there are some who will balk at the price especially since you need to sharpen the pencil as time progresses. If this isn't wallet-friendly for you, try some drugstore lip pencils instead. I know Revlon has recently launched their matte lip balm stains.

The staying power of this lipstick is decent, it's not advertised as a stain, but since it is such a bold color, it will stain lips. The night I went out, I had dinner and still did not need to touch up. Of course, if you decide to eat something greasy or buttery, the color will be removed when you wipe your lips. I did not notice any feathering the few times I have worn this. Another plus to this lippie is the lack of scent. Great for those with sensitive noses!
I definitely enjoy the NARS Matte Velvet Lip Pencils and I can see myself purchasing another if I find another color I like (which is a high probability). Dragon Girl is a great introduction to their matte lip pencil line and I hope the others are just as impressive.

Pros:
-Pigmented
-Long lasting
-Easy application
-No scent
-Great names
-Ligh weight feel

Cons:
-Expensive
-Has to be sharpened

Would I Repurchase? Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to read my blog. I read all my comments and appreciate each and every one! ^_^

Disqus for My Beauty Blog

Affiliate Disclosure

Beauty is Not Caused is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and The Body Shop Affiliate Program. This means that these are an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or TheBodyShop.com.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails